Tuesday, October 12, 2010

E-mail received 10/12/2010 - Grasshoppers...Ewwwww!

Oh man the dishwasher doesn't sound fun. Alright a couple things first. So I know last time I mentioned that I might want new scriptures for my birthday. I want that option completely off the table. One, because new scriptures are super expensive and, two, because I'm planning on talking with President Bahr about going Spanish speaking once I hit my year mark so new English scriptures wouldn't do me much good. So nix on that one. The issue of shoes still remains in force. I had to buy a couple of things yesterday using personal funds. 21.98 at walmart and it'll be about 19.74 at a payless which probably end up being just 20 dollars because the deal necessitated one person buys the thing so I just have to pay back my companion. My watch broke, super sad! So I needed a new one. It's not mickey mouse like I like but it'll have to do for the rest of my mission. Also I needed a few other supplies. The payless is I bought some shoes but not exercise ones because the ones at payless just weren't of a durable quality. I could see them falling apart in a few months.

It's super crazy that Jamie Klumker is having a baby and that Brittany Larson is getting married!  I'm super happy for both of them. I've only met Chris once and he seemed like a solid guy. She sure likes him so I hope that everything works out well. It's going to be a big change of scenery for both of them going to BYU. I know it's definitely hard balancing school and living life. A lot of the members who are in Jersey City are in that phase and it's a real struggle on time.

It's super weird that Katelyn went to her senior homecoming dance! My little girl's all grown up! Just as a reference where has Katelyn been applying to? Obviously admissions aren't due till like December or January but she's probably definitely thought about it.

Well it's been a pretty crazy week here in Jersey City. We had exchanges in Union City that we did this week and it was amazing. I love working in the Spanish areas. The people are so humble and full of love. I also love teaching in Spanish. It really makes you rely on the Lord and not in your own confidence or abilities.

I definitely had a cool experience where I had to eat grasshoppers! Apparently a Mexican delicacy. They weren't half bad. Once you squeezed down the legs and the eyes and they stopped jumping around they added a nice texture to tacos. Yum!

Elder Roper and I also had a really cool experience with a guy who was no longer a member of the church. We had gotten a referral from the ward to go and visit this guy. The ward needed information on another member because they couldn't find him so they told us to go to the home of this person, who was his brother. We got there and he opened the door to us. We asked him a couple questions and he invited us in to show us his artwork. He is a very talented artist and we talked with him for a little bit on it, as well as getting a little information on his brother. We then got on to how he wasn't a member anymore and what he thought about the Book of Mormon. He had the book but hadn't read it in a long time. We both bore powerful testimony of the impact that it has had in both of our lives and that if he read it he could regain a testimony of it's truthfulness and it would really help him in his pursuits in life. He began to tear up and he told us that he really felt the Spirit. He told us later that he's had several contacts from the church in the past and that just at the door he would shut it off and never let anyone in but when we came he said that he felt something different about us. He specifically said that he felt that we had "God in you." It was a really cool experience. We're planning on meeting with him later and helping him to return to activity in the church.

Some of our baptismal goals have been set back but we're excited about many of the new ones that we've been able to set. We're expecting a family to get baptized two weeks from now. They're really cool people from Sierra Leone. Her father actually is the Branch president in their branch back home but she ran away and never got baptized and now she and her son want to be members of the church. Their amazing and we're planning on seeing them today.

I gave a talk this last Sunday in church that was all about obedience and duty. I taught the principle by relating it to the story of King David. When he was righteous he prospered, when he was unrighteous he suffered. I learned a lot about how important obedience is while I was writing the talk and I loved the talk because the topic is so dear to my heart. I reflect again and again about how much the mission has changed me and how bright the future I have because of it.

I love the Lord and I love doing his work. I hope you are all well and seek for opportunities where you are to serve the Lord with all your heart, might, mind and strength.

-Elder Guinto

No comments:

Post a Comment