Monday, June 14, 2010

E-mail received 6/14/2010

Yeah we decided to change it up. We didn't go last thursday, we're going this wednesday and instead of taking a P-day off, we're taking two half P-days so that we can get the essentials done. Yeah I actually remembered your birthday this year. It's funny because guess who's birthday is the same as yours. Sister Black! Weird huh? But anyway sounds like you guys have an exciting couple weeks. That is very weird that the twins and Cameron and Kim and everybody's going to be graduating in a few days. Time goes by so fast! I got a letter from Miranda on Tuesday. I was super pumped when I got it and it was funny because the assistant to the president was there when I received it and he chastised me a little for being so excited about a letter from a girl. Did you know that Brother Clarke and Sister King are getting married?! CRAZY! That was pretty big news to hear. Although I feel like you might have told me before and I just forgot.
 
We had a pretty boring week this week actually. Everything seemed to cancel. All our appointments with investigators cancelled and we pretty much only had appointments with members. We did a lot of teaching though. I got to see this great video that was made by the San Jose Mission all about how by small and simple things great things come to pass. It goes through the conversion of one of the bishops in San Jose. He was just a regular guy and the girl who sat by him in school was a member and she accidentally left her copy of the Book of Mormon on the desk. He ran to return it to her and when he did she felt prompted to give it to him. So she quickly wrote her testimony in it and then gave it to him. He accepted it and when he got home he tossed it into a corner of his room and forgot about it! About four months later he was lying on his bed when all of a sudden he remembered the book that the girl had given him. He dug around and found it and when he opened it up he saw that she had written a message to him in it. Her testimony and the fact that she'd written it just for him touched him so much that he decided to read the book. He read into the night and by the following day had finished the book! He knelt to pray, following the promise given to all men from Moroni, and received an answer right there of the divinity of that book. He got in contact with her and the missionaries and him and his whole family was baptized! Incredible! It really helped me see one thing. We may not always see the fruits of our labors immediately. In many cases, especially in missionary work, we may not see the fruits of our labors at all!
 
I did a really in depth study about the importance of accepting the Lord's time this week and was inspired to write down this analogy. I considered the growth of  a peach tree. I asked myself what does it take to grow a peach tree? Many people will say that it takes a peach seed, good soil, water, good clean air, and sunlight among other things. Too often people take for granted what are some of the most important elements required for proper growth and nourishment, which is diligence and time. A peach tree will never blossom nor bear fruit before it's season and even if by chance it were to do so the fruit there of would be weak and bitter having not received the necessary nutrients which brings forth sweetness. Without diligence that plant would die and wither away and profit the caretaker nothing. I then thought of a rain drop, who's sojourn from the heavens has taken it far from it's celestial nativity, across vast spaces of the unknown, to the growing peach tree and when falls upon it, does it feel discouraged or disheartened when it quite obviously sees minimal and seemingly insignificant progress in the blossoming of that plant. No. Rather that drop is given purpose. It becomes absorbed in a work and glory greater than itself and is now given purpose in the magical growth of that plant. Both have now grown to more than they ever could have been without the other.
 
We must consider our part in the great plan of redemption laid by our Father from the beginning and understand that what we do in that is of magnificent importance. Whether we are the first drop or the final drop of the season, we can be sure we are part of the laying of the foundation of a great and glorious work. Therefore be not weary in well doing for out of small things proceedeth that which is great.
 
I really am excited to go to the temple and to be able to partake in the Spirit there. I feel like I should always go to the temple with questions because we definitely can receive answers there. I definitely have a lot that I would like to have answered but ultimately I really feel like I don't need any of them answered. The Gospel is the answer to all of my questions or concerns and in it and in Christ I find peace.
 
Transfers are a week away now and we're pretty sure there are going to be a lot of changes. Next transfer is going to be really different because halfway through the transfer are mid transfers when we absorb over 40 of the Cherryhill missionaries. It's both an excited and a nerve wracking time but it will all be fine.
 
I hope Brother Falter heals back alright. It is pretty crazy that so much has happened in so little time. I don't sing as much as I used to. I actually play the piano a lot more. I've played in Sacrament meeting and in a lot of other meetings too. You'd be proud Mom. I'm actually getting pretty good at sightreading hymns now. It's amazing how the Lord develops our talents to touch his children in many ways.
 
Wish everybody luck with all the things that are going on this week and I hope you all have a blessed day!
 
-Elder Guinto
 
P.S. Happy Birthday Mom & Dad! And I'll send you a Father's day card with more pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment