Is Mike living in Utah again? That would be a big step. That's really good that he has a good job though. Being a mechanic will really get him going and associating with industrious people will help him to set some good goals. That's really good and I'm happy for him.
I hope Maleah starts feeling better. I can't believe you finally broke down and got her a cell phone. That's a new development. Just one word of advice for Maleah about cell phones: Don't get sucked in to the degrading and life destroying world of texting. Too much of the world is turning to cyber communication, bearing the message of "Fast" and "Convenient." The more that society turns to such impassioned and fickle communication, the more the world as a whole will lose it's literacy and tact to deal with the finer things of this world. Families who email when it's time for dinner and text each other across the table are growing more and more common in American society and greater enlarge the dangerous gap between the wisdom of the experienced and the growth of the rising generation. When you call someone it's not only faster and easier but it helps you develop a relationship with those with whom you are talking. When you text someone, a five minute conversation turns into two hours of interrupted and unfocused time spent in idle frustration as you constantly wait for the exchange of meaningless memos passed through today's "State of the Art." Be careful with it. The most cherished and loving relationships you will have will be ones you foster face to face.
It's Katelyn's birthday today! Happy birthday! I remembered when I was sitting in district meeting and I wrote down the date. It's so crazy that she's 18! She's old now! I'm glad everything seemed to go well with her birthday party.
This has been one exciting week here in Jersey City. We definitely had the best week that I've had my entire time in this area. Elder Summerhays and I were just really on the ball with planning this week and everything worked out so that we accomplished great things.
We've really been pouring a lot of our efforts in finding and in preparing our candidates for baptism. Two in particular are getting ready for baptism this Sunday, with a hopefully an added extra if we work hard enough at it. It's amazing how much they've sacrificed personally to be able to get to this point. One investigator left his job so that he can be able to go to church every Sunday! We were kind of blown away that he actually did it but when we met with him yesterday he talked to us about it. He said that he struggled to make the decision but when he finally made it there was no regret. He said that he knew that God would provide for him if he just put a little faith in him and that he could not afford, above everything else, to sacrifice the blessings that God would give to him and his family. Now that's faith in action!
Another just knew that it was true from the very beginning and has just accepted that this is the new life that God wants for him. We met him just a week and a half ago and he's come to church twice and is getting baptized this Sunday! I think finding him has really just been a testament that the Lord does His own work and that we are but tools in His hands.
We really don't do as much as people or even other missionaries think we do. This is God's work and not ours and we're given an opportunity to assist in this work. I see a lot of missionaries that are extremely occupied with being a "Successful Missionary" when that's really not the aim that God wants us to aim for. We should seek rather to do what the Lord asks of us, to be a servant. To do all that we can to serve others and serve in the way that the Lord has asked us to do it. Preach My Gospel says that without the Spirit we cannot succeed in this work regardless of our talent or ability. The more and more I serve the more I realize that I have little to contribute and that if I get so caught up in things I do I'll miss the miracles that God does.
We're really excited for this upcoming week and really anxious to see whether Elder Summerhays and I stay together for the transfer. We've really been having a good time together and I really enjoy serving with him. He's a bright eyed missionary with a lot of enthusiasm and a ton of heart.
I hope that you guys have a great week and I hope that all the time issues seem to work out with careful planning and hard work!
-Elder Guinto
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment