Monday, February 28, 2011

E-mail received 02/28/2011

Must be the signs of the times with all this crazy cold weather in Washington. I can't remember it ever really getting like that. I always tell people here about how wonderfully mild the weather always is in Washington but apparently it hasn't been so lately.
 
That's awesome that Katelyn got accepted! Although I really think there was little doubt that she would. Now that your talking about housing that raises a question. So, Pres. Bahr, in his last interview with me, talked with me a lot about preparing to go home. Probably one of the weirdest conversations ever, but he talked a lot about making sure I was prepared to go to school. One thing we might want to start thinking about is where I'm going to live while I'm at school at BYU. A few thoughts had crossed my mind since I've been out here that I might ask the Vellas if I could live with them but with Kelly not being there I don't know if that situation may or may not have changed. Another thought was living with Grandma but there may already be too many people there. I kind of don't want to have to hassle with living on campus but if that's the only option I'm willing to do whatever. Just a thought though that it may be something we might invest some time looking in to. It's also weird to think that I'll get home and Katelyn's ahead of me in school!
 
The baptismal service yesterday was amazing. There were a ton of people there. 7 people were baptized and they all wanted different people to baptize so there were 14 people in white yesterday. The picture of it is quite spectacular. There was one baptism, the one that I performed that was particularly interesting though. We've been working with this guy, who's a total champion, whose rather large in stature. Anyway, long story short he was too tall and too large to bend all the way back and get all the way under the water. We eventually had him sit down in the water and just lay down and sit back up to do the baptism! (After the 9th time trying it!) It was intense but he was a fighter through the whole ordeal. He's really going to go on to do great things in the church. He's got such a great spirit and a powerful heart.
 
We are still teaching the scary guy and his family. We're actually meeting him this Saturday. We actually visited him last week and he had colored contacts in his eyes that were bright bright red! It was pretty freaky because he looked super satanic but he talks like a soft hearted father. We're excited to see where he goes.
 
Transfers are this week but thankfully Elder Summerhays and I are staying together here in Jersey City. My fifth transfer in the area! I also got assigned to serve as the district leader for what I think will be the Jersey City/Bayonne district, but I'm not quite sure yet. I'm a little sad that I only got one transfer as a regular missionary. Truth be told I was loving not having a ton of responsibilities, but I'm really excited to serve as a district leader again.
 
I think what I like most about being a district leader and also just a missionary in general is it's so personal. I should tell you that on Saturday I sat three feet away from, shook hands with, and had a great question and answer period with Elder David A. Bednar. He visited the mission, also with Elder Whitney L. Clayton of the Presidency of the Seventy. One of the things that he taught was enabling those we teach to be independent and to learn to receive revelation. We've been viciously seeking to implement what he taught us and it's really turning us into great teachers. We're really getting to know our investigators and as a district leader I'll really get to know our district on a personal level and be able to help each other to improve. It's really an exciting opportunity.
 
It's going to be a great week. Elder Summerhays and I are excited to find that next person who the Lord has prepared to receive his Gospel and to be tools in His hands. Have a great week and keep reading those scriptures! They really are the keys to great treasures of hope.
 
-Elder Guinto

No comments:

Post a Comment