My daze I haven't made pound cake since I've been in Fairlawn!
Yeah it's not the same car that we got crashed in to, that was the van, but this car has seriously been bad luck for us. We actually were supposed to get it back today but I talked with the Elder who manages the cars for us and told him how much the car seems to be a problem for us and he gave us a brand new 2010 Ford Fusion instead. So now we have a much nicer car that hopefully will rid us of the curse. I think I'll do fine without a gps. Several other missionaries have them now and I'll be fine while I'm in Jersey City because I know the area pretty well and how to get to all the major mission locations from it.
Yeah, just goes to show I wasn't kidding when I said you guys might want to rethink picking me up. Jersey isn't a playground. Although there are some places that are pretty good. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it though.
It's weird that you've been having all these dreams about me coming home. I had a weird dream the other night that I came home but it was because all of you guys had gotten into a huge accident and died! Hopefully none of this comes true but it had me a little on edge coming to do emails!
Katelyn, you are a spaz. Face it.
I did get your package and I did get the message about Mitchell and Jacob getting their calls. That's so cool that Jacob is going on a mission. I couldn't believe it when you guys told me on Christmas. It sounds like he's come a long way and I'm really wondering what made the change or the difference. I can't wait to see him after he gets home from his mission. The Lord truly shapes us and molds us into the best that we can be.
I really do wonder what new calling they would give Bro. Renda. He's a scriptural champion! He'd be perfect for primary or some calling with the young men. Whatever it is it'll be inspired.
The weather here's been pretty bad but nothing that's stopped us from working. We've gotten more snow and freezing rain as well, which is miserable, but we worked through it all. We actually had a pretty good week this week. We've really been working with this one investigator who's from Sierra Leone and he's really working hard to turn his life around. It's really cool to see how much the scriptures mean to him now and see someone just love them. He takes it with him everywhere he goes now and he loves the Spirit he gets from them.
We also taught a new investigator this week who's from Haiti and he already had a firm knowledge that after the death of Jesus Christ the church fell and that all the other churches were just churches built by men. When we taught him about the apostasy and the Restoration it just really clicked with him and he told us that he really thought that Joseph Smith might be a prophet. He committed to be baptized when he gains a testimony of the Book of Mormon and he'll be coming to church this Sunday!
We had an awesome opportunity to have Elder Paul V. Johnson of the first quorum of the Seventy meet with us in a zone conference on Saturday. He's a great speaker and it was an excellent conference. We learned a lot about being a consecrated missionary and also in teaching to the level of our investigators. He did a funny example where he had two Spanish-speaking missionaries come and role-play knocking his door. When they answered the door he started speaking in Norwegian to them. The Elders thought for a second that he was kidding and one of them responded in German. When Elder Johnson responded back in Norwegian they we stunned. Their faces were priceless. They did a good job of handling the situation but he wanted to show us that even though we both speak English, that kind of miscommunication happens more than we think it does. We're really focusing on teaching to the needs of our investigators now.
Elder Summerhays and I have been working really hard at finding some new people and we found some great ones in a building with golden hallways. It was funny when we walked in and there was a chandelier in the hallway and the walls were white with gold woodwork. It looked like the hallways of a temple! We were even more amazed when the people there just opened their doors to us and talked cordially, politely and with great interest in what we had to say. It was a testament that we can be guided to those who are searching and they are out there.
Well I hope that you guys have a great week. Hopefully no one gets robbed and the weather stays mild!
-Elder Guinto
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment