Monday, April 11, 2011

E-mail received 04/11/2011 - Finally leaving Jersey City

Weather's supposed to be improving but we're really not seeing much of it. It's rained a lot this week but we've been able to work through the storms and see a lot of miracles.
 
That's awesome that Cameron got his mission call! He's going to serve in Elder Calderoni's home town! He says that he's serving in a really rich nice area in Brazil. I'm excited to speak some portugues with him. Although he'll probably speak a lot better than I can because my portuguese is really mostly Spanish with portuguese conjugations. Whatever works though. That's a really long time to wait to go on a mission but I guess they probably have to get everything together for a visa since he's going straight down there.
 
I'm glad Sister Mulks got the letter. I sent out a bunch because I finally had a little time on a P-day to get stuff written. Time is just such a rare commodity out here. I'm also glad to hear that Bro. Hayes is doing well. He was a great young men's president. I think it was after he left that I pretty much stopped going to young mens. I kind of regret that. I think I really missed out on a lot of great opportunities with the young men and the scouts. I hope to help my children do better in those programs.
 
That's very worrying to hear that Aunt Marlyn's in the Hospital. I will definitely fast and pray so that she can make it out.  I will definitely pray a lot for her. If I could get her address I'd really like to send a letter to her.
 
You don't need to print out and send me pictures anymore. I was putting pictures in a book but it's expensive and pretty much unnecessary now that we have cool storage places like computers and the internet which are free so don't worry about printing out anything. Saying that I hope you haven't already printed them out...
 
I would love to live with Grandma. It would be so much easier that way. But I guess we still have time to think about it. We'll have a lot to still plan and see what's going to work out. If anything else we know how low on fundage I am so that'll probably be a major factor in whatever we do.
 
On that subject, I've really been thinking a lot about my career and as much as I think going for the accounting thing would be a stable and beneficial job for me, I really can't see it being particularly good for the family life and I can't see myself enjoying it. I've talked with a few of the investment bankers in the ward and also one who's a CPA and I just don't fit the mold of someone who would be happy as an accountant. It's definitely not something I'm interested or invested in. I was wondering if you could do some research for me on the fields of physical therapy and nutrition. Things like availability, average pay, hours, schooling necessary, classes I need to take. Any information you could get would be helpful. I've really seen that that's something that I'm very interested, could be good at, and I could really be helping people. My main thing is I really want to help people. As an accountant I'd be helping people but I'd be just feeding their selfish pocketbook. There's still a lot of time but it'd be awesome if you could do that research for me.
 
This amazing last week with Elder Summerhays has been great. One of our greatest experiences has been working with the wonderful youth of the Jersey City 2nd ward. We've been using them to fellowship these two great investigators who are preparing to get baptized in the 2nd week in May. They're smart kids who really know how to back up their testimonies and they will be great missionaries when their time comes.
 
We've also really felt joy as one of our recent converts has seriously been talking with us and the bishop about serving a mission. He's really been totally changed by the Gospel of Jesus Christ and seeks, in all things to become a disciple of Him. He's going to be a great missionary!
 
One great moment this week actually happened at church. We were roaming the halls, trying to corner members so that we could meet with them during the week. One sister came out of one of the classes and I approached her to see if there was a time during the week that we could visit her. As we talked I felt prompted to ask her if there was anything that we could do for her. It came as a surprise to me but, she asked us if we could give her a blessing. We soon learned that there were some struggling situations going on between her and her nonmember husband and she really needed help from the Lord. We invited one of the other brothers of the ward to give her a blessing and he did so, so lovingly and beautifully. She felt a great comfort and peace and renewed desire to share the Gospel. After she'd received the blessing she talked with us about coming over and sharing the Gospel with her husband. It was really one of those moments where I felt that we were doing our job in helping others feel the love of their Savior and help them come unto Christ.
 
I'm finally getting transferred out of Jersey City! It's very bitter sweet though. I really wish I could've served one more transfer with Elder Summerhays in this wonderful area. I've learned and changed so much from the missionaries and experiences I've had in this wonderful and dynamic area. I'll always treasure the memories that I've made here. I'm really worried because I know this area like the back of my hand and it'll be weird going to an area where I don't know anything and don't have a gps. But it'll all work out as it should.
 
I know that the Lord has great adventures in store for each of us as long as we put all of our trust in Him. The old phrase, "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" didn't consider the basket that the Lord gives as a safe haven for the weary. In Him is everlasting strength.
 
-Elder Guinto

No comments:

Post a Comment