Mighty fun stuff! I'm just hoping that this doesn't reflect poorly on you because you're my power of attorney. When Elder Packer called me and said that I'd gone to New York and splurged 750$ I was quite surprised that I was capable of sleepwalking that far. Ironically we went to the temple this week and so we were two days away from going to New York anyways. That's why I didn't email last week because we switched our preparation day to Saturday and the length of the trip from down here in Trenton didn't allow me to email on Saturday either. So don't worry, I didn't get mugged.
I'll make sure and take care of everything today and after I do I'll make sure and have Elder Packer call you. Wish me luck in finding myself again!
That's very weird that Katelyn's out of high school and even stranger that she'll be further in college than I am when I get home. Speaking of Katelyn I met someone else who knows her this week. Carlos Sanchez introduced me to his sister who was apparently Katelyn's counselor at SOAR. I'm slowly turning into the brother of Katelyn rather than her being my sister! I showed them the video of Katelyn (P.S. got the package on Wednesday. Gracias!) and they laughed. I laughed really really hard when Katelyn got the text message in the middle of the video! She's all grown up! Kind of...she'll always be my little sister.
I sent another card with Dad's father's day card. I hope you got it in time for father's day. Don't know why but it felt the best to see Dad and Maleah in the videos. I think I appreciate Dad's quirkiness more now than I did back home. Maleah's so skinny! She should trim her bangs so that everyone can see her beautiful face! Tell her not to worry. I'll come home to replace Katelyn for a little while.
Tell them both to make sure they're reading their scriptures every day! That's really just the key to getting all the support they'll ever need. We've really seen it in the person who was just confirmed yesterday. The first day we met him he was really reserved and just a altogether shy and not outgoing person at all. He would go to work and come home without seeing anyone and just not really living life. Then he started reading his scriptures and it's been amazing to see him just totally change. For the years prior to us meeting him he went through some intense radiation treatment for colon cancer, I believe, and he was just always racked with pain and fatigue. Now he's the most energetic and upbeat person. He walks around the church like he's been a life-long member and he cracks jokes with the bishop! He wakes up early in the morning, around 4 or 5, so that he can study his scriptures and ponder on the throughout the day. He finds enlightenment and strength daily and it helps him to thrive in any situation. The scriptures really are the power of God unto our own salvation as long as we treasure them up and trust in the Lord.
We had somewhat of a challenging week this week but it's also been one of the most revelatory. I'm truly a believer that trails are given to us for our good, for whom the Lord loveth He chastens. I learned a lot about patience this week. One thing that Sister Bahr taught us from Sister Beck is that everyone, and I like to substitute every thing, that comes into our lives is clinical material for us to practice becoming more like the Savior. Without an opportunity we cannot grow. In the premortal life I'm sure that several of us were anxious and eager to come here and to prove ourselves faithful to our Heavenly Father but he reserved our strength and zeal for a time when we could truly be tested. I hope all of us know that we are not ordinary sons and daughters of a loving Heavenly Father but if we hold on to the rod he has given us we are His elect. We were chosen to come in the last days, the toughest days, not because we are disliked or forsaken but because he knows we can do it. Christ repeatedly beckons us to follow Him but too often we may forget that the implication is really to follow Him because the way has been prepared for us.
Help Maleah to read a few talks for me. "The Atonement Covers All Pain" by Kent F. Richards- April 2011 Ensign. There's also a great video on the talk by Joseph B. Wirthlin entitled "Come What May and Love It!" on youtube that she should see. Both of these have brought me a lot of strength through hard times out here.
I really love the opportunity I have our here to come to better know my Savior and my own faith. The more I work the more I grow, the more I read the more I know and the more I strive to be true the more I show the Lord I love Him. Never lose hope. The Devil will always try to dim the everlasting truth made real by the Atonement of Christ: "You can do it."
-Elder Guinto
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment