Monday, June 27, 2011

E-mail received 6/27/2011

I was able to send in the information this morning so it should arrive there around wednesday or thursday. I wasn't able to order a report and I tried twice but I'll get a letter off today. It's been a fun experience so far with all the fun finance issues but much less than I would've thought. It was kind of interesting to see what people do with someone elses' information. It brings to light how important the principle of accountability is when someone's unaccountability before God let's them go to extreme lengths to satisfy their desires. Hopefully they'll be able to repent and find the greater happiness that they can find through integrity in the Gospel.
 
That's awesome that the girls want to exercise during the summer! I especially like that Maleah wants to bike because I've come to really love cycling as I've been doing it out here. Although, I would definitely appreciate a bike that requires a little less maintenance than the one that I currently ride. It's given me useful practice though which I will definitely use later on in my life.
 
Tell Maleah not to worry about juggling school and a job at the district office. My friends who worked there said that if anything else it was a great place to catch up on homework at. They said they did little to nothing there so it was a reverent environment to do their study. With that in mind though tell her to make sure that she needs to be an employee worthy of her hire. If anything else, some of the most foundational times for her life are these times so she should strive to excel as a student and stand out as an employee. The way she carries herself on both fronts will help her establish the person she hopes to be for a lifetime.
 
I do know Elder Young from Sparks, Nevada. He actually goes home in two days if I'm not mistaken. He's a Spanish-speaking missionary and he gave a great testimony a few weeks ago in all mission conference.
 
I'm actually super sad that that memory card doesn't seem to be working. It had a lot of pictures and the pictures of Elder Smith and I at the mission home. But there's no sense crying over spilt milk. The memories will always be there in the noggin. Just note that I did send a video.
 
Jason Hensley did do running start and graduated with an associates degree. I don't actually regret not doing that program because it would've alienated me from the friends and associations I made at school but it would be nice to be a little ahead when I get home. Although it just means I get to have more years of fun in college so I'm excited as well. It'll be fun to get there and everyone, including my little sister, will be ahead of me in school. But everything will be fresh in my mind and I won't have to recall college courses that I took two years ago!
 
This week was definitely a fun one. We worked really hard and taught and committed a lot of people. One of our major prayers was answered this week. We've been teaching this African family from Liberia and the father and the daughter have both been baptized here but the mother was having a few struggles. She believes that the church is true and wants to be baptized with all her heart but her job requires her to work on Sundays. Her husband is going to school right now and is about to finish a course in mechanical engineering so she's bringing in most of the family income and despite her pleas to get the Sabbath off she's yet been unsuccessful. We felt inspired to tell her to pray for it and then to exercise all of her will towards getting the day off. The family held a special fast together and we were praying none stop for a miracle. One day her boss came up to her and said that for the following schedule she'd arranged that she would be working different hours on Sunday. Instead of working 12-5, which is during the same time as church, she would be scheduled to work 5-10, which is right after church! We were ecstatic when we heard the news and she committed right then and there to be baptized on July 19th! It's amazing what the Lord will do for those who trust in Him and believe on Him. Her family will be completed and they'll be able to prepare for marriage in the temple next year!
 
We were a little disappointed when a family, who was so sure on coming to church, didn't come this Sunday but we still have hope that they can exercise their own agency to do it. They're a great family and we want to help them the best that we can. We've been meeting with their son on a very frequent basis and it's great to see him light up when he understands a scripture and loves the story. It's great to see so much potential here in Jersey and the Lord has given us this opportunity to harvest it here.
 
I hope we all take the chance we've been given to reach out and harvest where we are. There is potential all around us. We see it on the street, at our jobs and in many cases even in our own homes and God has put us exactly where we are for a purpose. If we listen to the Spirit and listen with love to those with whom we associate, we will be led to those seeking for the truth. Have a great week and let us go on in so great a cause!
 
-Elder Guinto

No comments:

Post a Comment