Hmmm. Well at least it's reassuring to you that I haven't taken out any loans that you don't know about! I guess nothing changes then, which I guess is the best that anyone could've asked for. I haven't gotten the debit card yet because we haven't gotten mail in a while. The mission hasn't been super adamant lately at getting mail to us at every opportunity they get but that's ok. It gives me a chance to stay focused and not worry about getting stuff from home. Plus when we do get mail I usually actually get something.
One funny request regarding mail, actually, and don't freak out about this one. I was wondering if Andrea is still home and if she is I was wondering if you could get her mailing address for me. I'm not going to do anything romantic or anything like that. I just wanted to send her a thank you for being an example to me in high school and the way I've been effected by it. I just thought about it this week and thought I should express appreciation.
I'm actually surprised that Kelsie didn't get married sooner! It seems like nobody's gotten married! Atleast not as many as I had expected. I was completely expecting everyone from seminary to be married by the time I'd get back but it looks like only a few have. I still haven't really heard anything about Nick Smith going on a mission. I sure hope that he did.
That's crazy that Maleah's going to be 16!!! I guess that's tomorrow huh? Tell her that the same rules apply to her that apply to Katelyn! If she wants an excuse not to date people tell her to tell the boys that she has a wild brother who's out loose in the concrete jungles of the Eastern U.S. who'll swoop in and break them if they touch his little sister. Then we'll see how they feel about it. Tell her to remember that dating in high school isn't to have boyfriends or anything like that. Dating when you're young is essentially to have fun and gain experience interacting with people of the opposite gender so when she is in a position to seek a deeper relationship she won't be a total fish out of water. The Lord allows proper relationships to grow in appropriate settings and the ones she chooses to foster can either strengthen and prepare her for a future eternal companionship or desensitize and devalue the future bonds I'm sure she hopes to find. Elder Smith and I were actually talking today about how dating too seriously too early really can cripple the youth of today. I know that Maleah's got a good head on her shoulders though so she'll make good choices.
I try not to think of home as much as possible. I really don't think about it very much unless someone brings it up. It's definitely easier to work when you've got everything focused on what you're doing. I keep praying for focus and charity so that I can be more like Christ.
We had an interesting week this week. Like you guessed, it was definitely a scorcher. Every day, except for Sunday, was in the upper 90's and lower 100's. Being a walking missionary in that kind of weather can be pretty brutal sometimes but the Lord definitely blessed us in countless ways so that we could keep doing the work. I couldn't count how many times we just be to the brink of exhaustion when out of nowhere someone would offer us a swig of water or a brief reprieve from the beating sun. We even found a few new investigators out of sheer pity! The Lord really brings it all for the benefit of His children and if we just have a few days of sweltering heat for it, so be it!
We helped one of our new investigators to set a baptismal date for August 28th! He's a tattoo artist but he just wants to do what the Lord wants him to do. He's seen a lot of things in his life and he really attributes his existence today to miracles that the Lord has put in his path. He asked us if it was wrong, reassuring us that he just wanted to know if he needed to make a change. He said if he has to he will because it's all about what God wants. He's a man of intense faith and it's good to see such devotion among the people of New Jersey.
We found some amazing success also among the people who some may have given up on. We've been working for some time with a less-active teen in our ward. She's fallen into divers sins and feels somewhat opposed to a few principles of the Gospel. Others may think very critically of her but my companion, the bishop, and myself definitely feel prompted that there's more there than most people see. We actually started teaching her boyfriend and we've seen a new light come into her as we've been teaching him and then inviting her to testify of the truths that she does know. This week she also went with the youth to Kirtland, Ohio, to see the temple and the other sights there. She definitely felt the Spirit there and it's incredible what that influence can do to change a person.
I really think that one of the most amazing things that the experience of the mission offers is change. Whether it's in me or in those that I have an opportunity to see the Lord teach, it's life changing. The central blessing and purpose of this life is change and what a wonder to be able to be an instrument of that purpose. There's little that a young man can do during these two years of his life that will come close to measuring up to what he can accomplish with the Spirit in the service of the Lord. Anyone who sacrifices that opportunity will be letting go of a life filled with some of the choicest blessings God can offer.
I love my mission and we're excited to work and sweat and teach like missionaries do!
-Elder Guinto
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love reading all Kyle's letters, thanks for putting them up for us to read!
ReplyDelete