Tuesday, August 30, 2011

E-mail received 8/30/2011 - Earthquakes + Hurricanes=Humility

Oh man, wisdom teeth are a doozy! Katelyn did email me and I'm excited to hear from her! She said she actually loved the orientation but she definitely didn't mention this guy(s)! I did tell her that if I live in Felt Hall that means I get to screen everyone she dates and barge in her room whenever I want and hang out on her bed like old times!

I just hope it's not all 18 year old kids in that Hall. I heard it could be pretty awkward for 21 year-old RM's in the Heritage halls because everyone else is so much younger. You'll probably be "pleased" to know that I still have no idea what I want to do after college but I've been now thinking about some kind of engineering. Some people were talking to me about mechanical engineering and structural engineering and they sounds like very "hands on" as well as interesting and practical fields to go in to. I'm still not set on much but we'll see.

It's still super weird to think that at the end of this week I'll only have two months left out here. I actually talked to one of the assistants about extending for another month but now that plans are already in motion I guess I probably shouldn't do that. I don't know if the Bishop has any plans for what he would like me to talk about or anything but if he does I'd like to know that. The more preparation I can put into it, the more praying I can do over it and hopefully have something presentable.

Thanks for Chris' address. The more and more I've been reading "Our Search for Happiness" the more and more I'm convinced that it'd be a great read for him. I've really been gaining a ton of spiritual insight from it and I feel the Spirit confirm to me again and again that it's the message for those going through tough times. I hope we're all reaching out to him in any way that we can.

The hurricane was actually very mild where we were. There was some very severe flooding but not too many houses got blown away. We were concerned about ours but everything was in tact. Lot's of roads are closed down and traffic is ALWAYS crazy now but overall it wasn't bad at all.

It definitely riled up the city though. When you have an earthquake and a hurricane both in the same week people definitely start to get worried about their salvation! We had one person call us the day after the hurricane and tell us that he wanted us to come over and preach to him! This particular individual had told us a few months earlier that he wanted to steal my bike! When we met with him this time around he had become one of the most humble, soft-spoken, earnest seekers of truth that you'd ever meet. We had a wonderful discussion with him and about how he can gain a personal relationship with his Heavenly Father. We definitely know that this hurricane was sent from God as a tool to humble His children unto repentance!

I'm always amazed at how Heavenly Father works in mysterious ways and how He'll always reach out to His children in love. We're so blessed to live in the days of a modern prophet who receives revelation to guide and direct God's children. It's a marvelous work and a wonder to be in.

Hope you're all well and doing your best to hearken unto the words of the modern day prophet, knowing that they are just and true. Just pray about it and you'll know!

-Elder Guinto

No comments:

Post a Comment